What is a Master Black Belt?
Identifying, supporting and delivering the organisation’s goals to realize its vision is the strategy that many organisations struggle to achieve. The Master Black Belt’s role is to work with the leadership team and make the vision a reality, through the delivery of business improvement.
An Master Black Belt, besides being knowledgeable in the tools and techniques of Six Sigma and being able to conduct Six Sigma projects, is also a coach, facilitator, mentor, program leader, and change agent. A Master Black Belt liaises between the sponsor, executive and improvement champions managing multiple projects to set objectives, targets, and to achieve lasting results.
What Skill Elements Make A World Class Master Black Belt?
- Leadership – Ability to achieve through others
- Project Management – Plan it, then deliver it
- Technical – Advanced Lean Six Sigma Techniques
Master Black Belt program focuses on how these skills can be targeted and improved upon. The program which was exclusively delivered in-house for its global clients, is now being offered in Asia to a wider audience, due to repeated requests.
The Master Black Belt program has 3 stages:
- Pass the pre-requisites – are you ready to be a MBB?
- Complete & pass the 6 day MBB course with Exam
- Complete the individual development plan that extends beyond the classroom
Master Black Belt Ready – Each candidate will be assessed for inclusion in this program which will bring the Master Black Belt Certification standard that GE, J&J, Pfizer, Schneider and many others have trusted as the first reference.
Development Plan – Each candidate will be mentored so they can receive their certification when they have achieved the world-class standard.
- Participants must be Black Belt Certified
- At least 3 years conducting improvement projects
- Has applied DMAIC methodology on a real improvement project
- Can develop strategy, objectives and set goals for the organisation
- Able to manage change smoothly for sustained results
- Can communicate and engage effectively with all levels of an organisation
- Able to foster teamwork within the organisation and delegate effectively
- Able to effectively manage a team of improvement champions
- Can coach, facilitate and mentor a team of champions to achieve results
Gurbachan Singh is a well-rounded professional. He has over 32 years of exposure to a broad range of manufacturing industry and management consulting; over 20 years in executive management and more than 10 years in management consulting; Business Process Diagnostics, Supplier Development, Quality, LEAN Six Sigma, Industrial Engineering, Project Management, Plant-wide Cost Optimisation, Leadership & Performance development.
He has a Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Post-graduate Diploma in Manufacturing Engineering, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and PRINCE2 foundation certification. His industry operations background spans many different sectors that include high technology precision electronics (Hitachi Semiconductor), heavy industry (Air Radiators), truck manufacture (Iveco), automotive components (DMG-Venture), white goods (Olympic Group), and pharmaceuticals (CSL).
In consulting he has been an operations advisor, programme developer, facilitator and project manager with various organizations such as PAC Project Advisors, Australia, ACTZEL Consulting, Australia, Penang Skills Development Centre (PSDC) and ARGI Institute of Manufacturing, Penang. He has travelled extensively to conduct projects in Australia, USA, Malaysia, India, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Egypt and the UAE.
- Leadership and Management
- Leadership Styles
- Lean Leadership, Behaviours and Values
- Change Management Planning and Execution
- Fostering an Organisational Culture conducive to change
- Effective Time Management
- Effective Communication and Feedback
- Fostering Teamwork and Effective Delegation
- Engaging the Team
- Coaching and Facilitation Skills
- Governance, Roles and Responsibilities
- Project Objectives, Goals and Scope
- Project Charter – Resources, KPI, ROI
- Multi Generation Project Planning (MGPP)
- Contingency Planning
- Work Breakdown Structure & Earned Value Analysis (EVA)
- Preparing Gantt Charts
- Risk Management
- Monitoring Progress
- Managing Performance
- Closing the Project
Technical: Advanced Six Sigma
- Hoshin Kanri Strategy Deployment
- How to succeed in Lean Six Sigma
- A3 DMAIC Reports
- Process & Value Stream Mapping
- Creative Problem Solving
- Gemba, Visual Boards and Meetings
- Implementing Enduring Kaizen
- Introduction to DFSS